Project "Ghibli Open Cup"

Post hier jouw trots

Re: Project "Ghibli Open Cup"

Berichtdoor lqpl » wo 09 mei 2012, 12:39

Jasper, misschien is dit interessant voor je. Komt van BiturboZentrum

I had been wanting to visit a company called UCC that markets shifter upgrades for BMWs but they moved to North Carolina I think, so that's a bit far now ...

The reason is that the Getrag is very similar to the one used in the BMW M3 of the same era and I wanted to do something about the lack of precision trying to select a gear when you're driving the car hard.

Well I found another company here in Northern New Jersey about providing this type of stuff for BMWs. As it turns out the guy running was one of the founding partners of UCC and they spit apart years ago now. A long story there I suspect ...

So yesterday I spend an hour there with him and took the shifter and linkage from my GOC (same for any Ghibli II, the 6-speed at least)and we reviewed what could be done.

1. new plastic bushing to replace the front rubber one where the fixed arm attaches to the trans. This might not be to your liking on a street car.

(...)

Yesterday I got to look at all the various editions of these "upgrade" pieces and we even tested the extent of the improvements before and after of my hardware versus the stuff he offered. I have to tell you that after we tweaked my shifter with the the mods I outlined there wasn't a hill of beans difference between mine and the expesive upgrade pieces except that I walked out of there for $40. Now you guys probably can't do the rubber bushing replacement with hard materials because it would really spoil the refined nature of a street car but he was pretty straight forward with me about what was going to really improve the gear selection accuracy when driving hard. The motor mounts. But he's in business to make money and has to have a product to sell. This guy did all the design and development work for UCC.

One product you see a lot is a short shifter but that actually degrades the ability to select the proper gear because your left-right movement is greatly reduced due to the shorter stick. Thus it's more difficult to find the right position. That's already an issue with this transmission. They do offer improvements for some of the bushing fitments which reduces drag and gives improved feel. That can also be accomplished with the stock pieces by carefully using a 10mm? reamer to reduce any binding but not open up too much play. He demonstrated that to me as well.

That's where the old ZF 5 speed box, faults and all, has it over this one. On that transmission the stick is directly mounted on top of the gearbox so the accuracy is a bit better even if the transmission isn't.

2. Better connection clip at that spot.

3. A new OEM ball socket and lubrication for the shift lever. Even though mine is very low miles it's age that makes it get loose. It made quite a difference. Now the socket and ball on the lever are snug.

4. Some newer style washers for the short lever pivot points.

5. Finally, the lever itself has an aluminum tube with a rubber insert that slips over the lever and the top of this receives the shift knob. That's to isolate vibration. Same for item # 1.
It was wobbly and they make new ones with stiffer rubber but what we did is just pinch the tube at the bottom in a vice to form a tighter square and that eliminated a lot of the play.

That's about it for those pieces.

The other big thing he recommends for track guys is to replace the motor mounts with urethane or billet aluminum versions. Apparently the rear transmission mounts aren't nearly as big a factor in reducing gear box movement. I already have delrin transmission mounts ready to install.

The basic design of a shifter affixed to the car's chassis while the engine and transmission float on a bed of rubber is the major culprit because under heavy deflection loads your reference point as to where to move the lever becomes a moving target.

I can attest to that phenomena.

The later motor mounts are different from earlier ones and over 10 times the price too! 505 vs 38 euros.

So I'm a bit nervous about letting one out in the hands of a machine shop to duplicate from billet aluminum.

(...)

I upgraded my shifter a while ago using an off the shelf shift kit from B&M like the one in the link below. It fitted no problem and the shift us a lot more in tune with the cars high performance character.
Mine has 30% throw reduction which does make the load into 2nd a bit high when cold but its ok.
The kit fitted fine 1st time and comes with the harder bottom bush and a new lever with a harder compound between the upper and lower parts. They also do a lever with no rubber at all which would probably suit you better.
I also stiffened up the rear rubber mount to the body by filling the voids in the rubber bush with a 2 part rubber solution.
Works really well and I think the cost isn't bad....and its off the shelf.

http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=precision-sport-shifter-for-bmw-3-and-5-series-%e2%80%9984-%e2%80%9906-%e2%80%9987-%e2%80%9906-and-%e2%80%9996-%e2%80%9902

For the engine mounts do you think its possible just to stiffen the standard ones rather than going solid? Can't remember if there are voids in the rubber....if there are the rubber solution would work well for this too.

(...)

Yeah, goddam paddle pulling pussies eh Bob, with their perfect mid-corner shifts every time! ;)

Of course you could always fit a sequential barrel shifter.....there are a few companies that offer a conversion kit fit the getrag 6 speed
Nick

(...)

When you're on a better interface maybe you could elaborate on that a bit? Not that I'm looney enough to do something like that to THIS car but I'm curious.

It would really surprise the shit out of a lot of Ferrari's at the track. But they'd still kick my butt with more HP and better handling.
quattroporte III 4.9 1987; 4.24v 1991; biturbo spyder 1993; 3200GT 2000; 1300 GT junior ('Scalino') 1970; 968 coupé 1991; 400i 1980; 944 CUP 1986; S6 avant 2012
lqpl
Donateur

Berichtdoor jasper » di 15 mei 2012, 22:39

thanks!

ben bezig met een mooi stoelframe, dus er kunnen mooi mensen mee rijden eerdaags 2thumbs
foto's volgen
jasper

Berichtdoor dueporte » wo 16 mei 2012, 07:21

jasper schreef:thanks!

ben bezig met een mooi stoelframe, dus er kunnen mooi mensen mee rijden eerdaags 2thumbs
foto's volgen

nou bij deze houd ik me aanbevolen in Assen!
dueporte

Berichtdoor Michele » di 22 mei 2012, 17:27

Jasper, neem jij een trailer en een tent mee naar Assen? zo ja, dan ff reageren in het viva Italia topic svp
Choose life, drive Maserati!
Je kan altijd stijlvol van huis, maar je weet nooit of je elegant aankomt...
http://www.corsamedia.nl
Michele
Donateur

Berichtdoor jasper » za 26 mei 2012, 23:16

zo, gisteren toch mn stoelframe afgemaakt, en de brandblussers verplaatst, nu kan ik eindelijk mensen mee nemen lachert
verders nog even mooi gepoetst van binnen/buiten/onder/boven......(is er ook een show and shine? lolololol )

eens zien hoe het er morgen aan toe zal gaan Thumbsup5
jasper

Berichtdoor Vince » zo 27 mei 2012, 18:08

Hij zag er werkelijk FAN TAS TISCH uit vandaag, Jasper!

En je was er lekker mee aan het rammen ook. Jammergenoeg niet meer mee kunnen rijden met je...

Wat mij betreft samen met de lichtblauwe Bora de auto van de dag!

Porsche 911 Cabriolet Carrrera 2 1990
Porsche 911S Coupé 1976
Porsche 912 / 3,2 hotrod 1969
BMW M5 E39 2001
Vince
Donateur

Berichtdoor Jac » zo 27 mei 2012, 19:04

En dan die drift in de Tarzan bocht....... ik flipte helemaal zo'n spectaculair gezicht!

Wie heeft daar een filmpje van?
Jac
Donateur

Berichtdoor lqpl » zo 03 jun 2012, 16:03

Op BiturboZentrum deze opmerking over Jasper' GOC (nav een van de filmpjes van Assen):"The second year series Evoluzione is much better in the turns and with braking. That one looked like a first year series? The HP is the same AFAIK but the suspension and brakes are radically different."

Weet iemand hier meer van? Wat zijn die radicale veranderingen?
quattroporte III 4.9 1987; 4.24v 1991; biturbo spyder 1993; 3200GT 2000; 1300 GT junior ('Scalino') 1970; 968 coupé 1991; 400i 1980; 944 CUP 1986; S6 avant 2012
lqpl
Donateur

Berichtdoor Techno » zo 03 jun 2012, 18:11

Grofweg: grotere remmen, grotere spoilers voor+achter, andere uitlaten (=meer racy geluid)
Zoek maar eens bij Enrico's op "Ghibli Open Cup" of kijk via de Ghibli Cup database op dezelfde site.
Techno
Donateur

Berichtdoor lqpl » zo 03 jun 2012, 19:38

Dat verklaart toch nog niet het vermeendev betere bochtengedrag. Ik zal eens kijken op E's site.
lqpl
Donateur

VorigeVolgende

Keer terug naar My Maserati